Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Easy Scoop for Feed

On my other blog, I wrote about wanting to find uses for the gazillion small coffee cans we have, that I just to want to throw away. I stumbled across an idea (so simple, really!) of adding a handle to the can and then using it as a scoop for dog food.

Eddie just happened to be on his way out to Lowes to get some things he needed, so I asked him to get several of the cheapest handles he could find. This is what he brought home:
I think they were about 64 cents each. I also asked for his help in attaching them. So he used his cordless drill to make two holes for the handle.

He also had to shorten the screws, because the coffee can has no depth compared to a drawer. They would have been about 1/2in. too long and the handle would have been loose. He used wire strippers/cutters that he screwed the screw into part-way (there are holes for bolt cutting), then was able to cut to the length he wanted.

This is one of the large coffee cans that we've been using for several years to scoop the chickens' feed. Now it has a nice handle. :)


Here's a shot of the inside that shows the screws:Nicer than having to risk my fingers on the edge of the can, where it can still be sharp:

And here's a small coffee can for the bird seed:

5 comments:

piscesgrrl said...

Hey there, it's me. :) This is a fantastic idea! I'm going to share it with my farming sister. And I'm even wondering if we non-handy folks here can do something like this! I'll get my oldest on it - he's the handiest of this bunch.

JohnPark said...

Very cool looking scoop!

jenw said...

Thanks for sharing this tip on turning old cans into scoops. I think we'll try that here. I've just sent my brother-in-law in Tennessee your URL because he's about to receive his first shipment of baby chicks (several different kinds) and I wanted to put him in touch with the community of housebloggers who also, like himself, happen to raise chickens (he raises bees, too).

By the way, I enjoy your blog so much, I nominated you for the "You've Made My Day!" award. The "rules" are over on my blog. Thanks for making so many of my days so much better!

Silvia said...

Jen,

Thanks! And I'm glad someone finds this stuff useful. :) I can't access your profile or find your blog--can you post it in the comments?

Silvia

Carole said...

Cool idea on the scoop! When I see stuff like that I think "Why didn't I think of that!".

Thanks for sharing.