Sunday, January 13, 2008

All in a Day's Work

While I was taking a CERT chainsaw class on Saturday, Eddie and the kids went to bring home more firewood. He cut it into lengths before bringing it home. Today he got it all split. I did lots of stacking.
Eddie thinks this will last the rest of the winter. I guess we'll see . . .

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Remaining Firewood

Ok, so here's the picture I promised yesterday.



Not much left. That back row is mostly full, but the one in front of it is mostly gone, as is the row on the right. Of the wood that's not split, two are going to be planters. :) They're mostly hollow so they wouldn't give us much firewood anyway.

Today's the last day of hunting season around here, so Eddie will be bringing home more logs to split soon.

Friday, January 4, 2008

The Firewood Situation

This was what we had back on December 5th. The two rows of stacked wood in the back was mostly gone. I had split a lot of the latest wood that Eddie had brought home by then, pictured in this post. That's just in a pile and covered by a tarp in the picture above.

That wood is now stacked in the back section, and we've been burning the more seasoned wood on the right. Tomorrow I'll try to get another picture and you'll be able to see how much we've gone through in a month.

It was only 6 degrees this morning! That's not our normal low for around here. According to the WeatherUnderground seasonal high/low temperature chart, the average low is about 28 degrees. Brrr.

Winterizing the Chicken Coop, Sort of

I think that wind is more of a problem than just the cold temperatures, so I stapled up clear plastic sheeting on the sides of the coops. Because they were originally chicken tractors, they didn't have solid sides. The floors are still just the wire mesh or fence material, so no heat is being kept in, but I'm hoping the hens will be happier if there is less wind on them at night, and will therefore keep producing eggs at a steady rate over the winter.
I screwed the boards in place over the sheets of plastic to help keep them from being ripped off in high winds.

And this was our first egg of the new year. :)


Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Easy Scoop for Feed

On my other blog, I wrote about wanting to find uses for the gazillion small coffee cans we have, that I just to want to throw away. I stumbled across an idea (so simple, really!) of adding a handle to the can and then using it as a scoop for dog food.

Eddie just happened to be on his way out to Lowes to get some things he needed, so I asked him to get several of the cheapest handles he could find. This is what he brought home:
I think they were about 64 cents each. I also asked for his help in attaching them. So he used his cordless drill to make two holes for the handle.

He also had to shorten the screws, because the coffee can has no depth compared to a drawer. They would have been about 1/2in. too long and the handle would have been loose. He used wire strippers/cutters that he screwed the screw into part-way (there are holes for bolt cutting), then was able to cut to the length he wanted.

This is one of the large coffee cans that we've been using for several years to scoop the chickens' feed. Now it has a nice handle. :)


Here's a shot of the inside that shows the screws:Nicer than having to risk my fingers on the edge of the can, where it can still be sharp:

And here's a small coffee can for the bird seed: