Friday, November 28, 2008

It's that Time of Year Again--Back to Splitting Wood

We already had split a bunch of wood the other week, and used up probably an 8ft by 4 ft stack of it. Eddie brought home more, probably all oak and some pieces weighed more than him, so that was our post-Thanksgiving workout.

Splitter still in pretty good shape, but Eddie's not happy with the gas reservoir; it seems to have a leak that he's unable to fix. There was also water in the carburetor. At any rate, it's functional.

And here are three buckets of small bits of wood that will be kindling.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Interior Door and Window Trim , part 3

Last but not least, Eddie put the trim up around the kitchen window. The only real issue to deal with was ripping the bottom trim piece to fit above the sink back splash.

The sill is in place.




I painted a primer coat on the unfinished piece of wood, and then we'll be caulking and filling holes and painting the trim on the window and the two doors.

Interior Door and Window Trim , part 2

Eddie next went to work on the new door we added.




Door trim going in.


He put shoe moulding across the bottom.

Finished door, still to be caulked, holes filled, and painted.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Interior Door and Window Trim , part 1

We installed the slider and kitchen window quite a while ago, and added the new door more recently, but had not put the trim up because we were eager to finish the siding first.

On Saturday we headed to Lowes to buy trim and also boards to fill gaps from the previous slider's opening, which was a bit larger than this one's.

This is what it started out as:


We also wanted to cover the piece of wood floor closest to the door because it was badly stained from condensation that the old aluminum slider created.

Filler boards going in.

I'm not sure what you call them, but the wood that Eddie's putting in here will make a frame around the door and be painted on the inside.

This shows the red oak that Eddie installed to create a small step or ledge to cover the flooring. We need to get another piece to put in under it--slight miscalculation either when we initially measured or when we made the purchase at Lowes left us with a piece that was not tall enough to use. Eddie put some temporary pieces in just to hold the step up, so he could install the rest of the trim. This top part of the step has been sanded and urethaned twice and will be done once more today. I think we're going to pre-treat the other piece before installing.

Filling some of the gap with DAP latex foam sealant.

Installing trim.

Perfect fit.

More in another post.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Firewood from our Fallen Tree

After taking care of the long skinny branches, of which there were too many for us to count, we started in on the huge limbs, and this is the result:


The top half of this is from the tree:

And we had just been saying to ourselves, we'll need to start bringing wood home to split for next fall . . .

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cleaning up the Fallen Tree

We're hoping the tree will live despite the damage. We knew we needed to remove some of the lower limbs, especially one that hangs over the roof a bit. Oh well.









So many small branches on this willow oak!

The main trunk had a secondary trunk, I guess, and that's what fell during a rain storm. It took three other huge limbs with it.







Needless to say, we have a head start on firewood for next winter.

Poor tree. It was really beautiful and full. I expect it will fill out, but it will take time.

When Trees Go Bad

I came home Tuesday night from jazz classes with Emily and pulled into the drive to see this:





Amazingly it didn't hit the house or the fence!


And in daylight.


I'll post another article with the cleanup effort.

So What Else Happened That Day?

I said there was more, and it was quite the highlight of the day. You might ask yourself, why is that man wearing an ace bandage around his ankle? Good question! When he was lowering the pump jack, the release was stuck, and he shifted his feet around.

Then all of a sudden it released, and the jack part, that sticks out and you would put your foot in to raise the jack, slammed down across the side of his shin. He was not happy. He yelled quite a bit. He was in the air and couldn't throw things.

He ended up on the couch for 3 hours with ice gel packs wrapped to his leg to keep the swelling and pain down. Then he went back to work. But if he took the ice off and stood, it really hurt more, so he kept it on.

And finished the siding. :) That's my guy! But it was swollen for several days and hurt like the dickens. Then the blood started draining around his foot. He had an x-ray done and the dr said there was nothing remarkable about it, other than a nick in his shin higher up, which would be from the chain saw incident. Which is another story I may have blogged about on PoMoyemu. Not sure. But it's a good one. Oh yeah--I did, it's toward the bottom of the post I linked.


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Back to Working on the Siding

We've finally started again on the siding, after taking all winter off, not to mention that Eddie had back surgery in April! Last weekend he cleaned and organized his workshop, a semi-annual event, so he would be able to find all the tools we'll need to finish this job.




We got it all finished in one day. There's still a fair amount to do on the corner, because there's a gap (that you can't see in the pictures) between the brick on the side of the house and the actual wall of the house. Eddie is figuring out how to remedy that situation, and I think he has a plan. :)

We also still need to finish the soffit in the back and the corners, where the flood lights will go.

But wait, there's more! To be continued . . .