Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Nest Box for Two

I needed to make a nest box a couple days ago, because some of our young hens started laying eggs (got two eggs today from them!). And the ones that are all together in the larger pen and coop have 6 boxes. But the two that we're keeping isolated from the others, because they get picked on pretty badly, didn't have a box in their area. So this is what I came up with:
I started with a box like this one, from Sam's Club, but with only one side cut out (this would be good for inside a coop):
Then I taped on some scrap Tyvek all around the outside, because it's outside, not in the coop, and put a layer inside the box, on the bottom, since it can get wet there, too, from the hens.
Then I covered the bottom with a nice layer of sawdust we just happened to have around. :) I don't know how soon these two little hens will be laying, but I want them to know where to go when they do!

No comments: